Remember the announcement of XEL back in 2021 and how the gorgeous sci-fi Zelda-like vibes were due to launch in 2022. Yeah, well maybe those release plans didn’t hit, at least not for Xbox players – but now XEL arrives to the world, launching on the back of the behemoth that is The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
Available to purchase, download and work our way through right now is the unmistakeable, visually gorgeous, XEL. A game created by the team at Tiny Roar, pushed to the world by Assemble Entertainment, releasing on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S after previously launching on other formats.
Fully optimised for new-gen consoles and running a £13.49 asking price, XEL has clearly been inspired by the brilliance of Zelda, with this one working action-adventure ideas, sci-fi settings and more.
It has you playing as Reid, unaware of your past, crashlanding on the world of XEL. It’ll be up to you to traverse the lands, work out what is going on and take on anything that gets in your way. A sword and shield combo should help you as you navigate the dungeons that await, whilst further gadgets, items and gameplay mechanics will come to the fore.
There’s a ton of interest in how XEL works through things, with the following all sitting pretty as key features…
- An ass-kicking 3D action-adventure through space and time
- Explore the mysterious world of XEL and uncover its dark past
- A vibrant overworld and challenging dungeons await to be explored and mastered
- Help Reid figure out who she is and why she is stranded on this strange place
- Hack and slash your way through gone-haywire-robot-minions and face the exotic wildlife of XEL
- Solve time bending puzzles and make use of your arsenal of gadgets
- Old-school gameplay meets new-school features
- A classic top-down 3D action-adventure awaits
- XEL offers a well-crafted combat system with dodging, parrying and gadgets.
- Upgrade your weapon, shield and gadgets to kick even more ass
- Unique abilities will let you jump through time to traverse prior inaccessible areas or encounter foes in a weaker state and bend the rules of space
- The dungeons and puzzles in XEL will put your wits as well as your guts to the test
- The world of XEL awaits
- Experience an intriguing sci-fi fantasy tale with a strong emphasis on story-telling, combat and puzzling
- Meet a memorable cast of characters and engage in witty and charming dialogues
- Discover time-distorted areas that allow you to take a glimpse behind the curtain that led to the downfall of this strange place
- Interact with your environment and actively engage with NPCs A timeless soundtrack and visuals
- XEL offers vibrant visuals, handcrafted by a passionate Indie team as well as a timeless soundtrack composed by Gidon Wolff”
We’ll look to review XEL on Xbox Series X|S as soon as possible. For now, grab a copy of the game for yourself by heading to the Xbox Store. It’s playable on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. You’ll also find it on other formats, like on Nintendo Switch and PC through Steam.
XEL is a 3D action-adventure set in a sci-fi fantasy setting. Play as Reid, shipwrecked on the strange world of XEL. Without any recollection of her former life, it is up to you to unravel her past and connection to XEL. Ready your sword and shield as you explore the overworld of XEL and dive into imposing dungeons full of unforeseen threats and challenging puzzles. Throughout your journey you will make new friends and foes, find new gadgets as well as being able to jump through time and space. As Reid delves deeper into the mysteries surrounding XEL, she discovers an endless cycle of peril. Will she be able to break free from it and what will it take?