When it comes to gaming a lot of gamers out there prefer to make use of an alias name or a name that would like to be known in the gaming world. No matter what the platform or game is, you can always choose to stick with a gamer name or a gamer tag. This can be used to easily identify a player. Now, it depends if you want to use your real name as your Gamertag or just any random made-up name with or without numbers added to it.
On the topic of gamertags, today we will be taking a look at how you can change your gamertag easily for your Xbox account. Let’s get started.
Things you should know before changing your Gamertag
- You can only change your Xbox Gamertag one time for free and then you need to pay the fee to change your Gamertag. So make sure you choose the best Gamertag.
- Character Limit: On Xbox, the character limit is 15 including spaces, and on other Xbox consoles and Windows the character limit is 12 including spaces.
- Gamertag can not start with a number
The good thing about being able to change your Xbox gamertag is that you can actually change the Gamertag in three different ways. You can read on and choose the method that applies the best for you. But there are some details you should know before changing your Xbox Gamertag.
How to Change Xbox Gamertag on the Web
One of the most simple, easiest, and moreover quickest way to change your Xbox Gamertag is by using a web browser. This is a simple process that you can follow on any device that has an internet connection and a web browser. Here are the steps.
- On any device, launch your web browser and head over to the official Xbox website. Alternatively, you can simply click on this link to head to the website right away.
- You will be asked to sign in with the Microsoft account that you use for your Xbox.
- Once you have signed in, you can now enter your new Xbox Gamertag. The maximum number of characters that your gamertag can use has to be 12 characters long.
- Enter your new Gamertag on the text box and hit Check Availability.
- If it displays that the gamertag cannot be used, you will have to try to use a different combination.
- Once you have finalized your new Gamertag, you will be able to preview and see how the Gamertag will look across various Xbox services.
- If you are satisfied with the new Gamertag, click on the Claim It button.
- The new Gamertag will now be displayed on all your Xbox services used by the particular account.
How to Change Xbox Gamertag On Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
Now that you have seen how you can change your gamertag using the official website, did you know that you can also easily change your gamertag on the fly when using your Xbox gaming console? If you have an Xbox console that was released after the Xbox 360, follow these steps to change your Gamertag.
- Power on your Xbox console and connect it to the internet.
- Now, press the Xbox button on your Controller.
- This will open the guide. Here navigate and select Profile and System options.
- You need to select your Xbox profile. Once selected, choose My Profile followed by Customize Profile.
- Select your Gamertag on this screen.
- Now under Choose Your New Gamertag, enter the new Gamertag in the text box.
- Choose the Check Availability to ensure that your Gamertag is available and no one has used it.
- The Xbox will now show you how the Gamertag will look on different services. If you are satisfied with it choose the Change Gamertag option.
How to Change Xbox Gamertag On Xbox 360
If you are someone that still uses an Xbox 360 and are looking for a way to change the gamertag for your Xbox account, you can easily do that on the console itself. Here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Power up the Xbox 360 and grab the controller.
- Navigate to the Social option on the Xbox 360 and choose Sign In or Out. Choose your Profile to Sign In.
- Once signed in, select the Settings option.
- Now, choose Profile and select Edit Profile.
- Highlight the Gamertag option and choose Enter New Gamertag.
- You can now enter a new Gamertag. Note that the new Gamertag can be only 15 characters long including space. Choose Done.
- Once the gamertag has been made valid choose Yes, use this gamertag to confirm your new Gamertag.
This concludes the guide on how you can easily change the Gamertag of your Xbox account in different ways. The process to change your Gamertag is simple and easy. While it is good to have a Gamertag, it is best that your Gamertag follows the certain rules that have been laid down by Xbox. The Gamertag should not contain any profanity and neither can the Gamertag begin with a number.