Dead Island 2 is apparently closer to launch than we had previously anticipated, as a leak from Amazon suggests that the long-in-development title is set to launch on 3rd February, on PS5 and PS4.
As spotted by the eagle-eyed Wario64, it seems like someone at Amazon might have jumped the gun a little bit, and updated the PS5 page ahead of a surmised possible re-reveal at Gamescom’s Opening Night Live Stream next week.
A February release date strikes us as realistic, as it doesn’t coincide with any fiscal quarter, and is a Friday, the traditional day on which new video games are released (at least in the U.S.).
The official description of the game, and its features, according to the Amazon listing of Dying Light 2: Day 1 Edition on PS5 is as follows:
A deadly virus is spreading across Los Angeles, California, turning its inhabitants into ravenous zombies. The city is in quarantine, and the military has retreated. Bitten, infected, but more than just immune, you learn to harness the zombie inside. Only you, and the handful of other swaggering fellows who happen to be resistant to the pathogen, hold the future of LA (and humanity), in the balance.
As you uncover the truth behind the outbreak, you’ll discover who – or what – you are. Survive, evolve, save the world – just another day in LA! The much-loved zombie saga is back with a unique formula of horror, dark humour and over-the-top zombie-slaying, spanning an epic pulp adventure.
Dead Island 2 is a thrilling First-Person Action RPG that takes players across a brand-new playground. Stylish, vibrant and flooded with zombie infection, explore iconic, gore-drenched Los Angeles. Meet larger-than-life characters. Slay countless foes in exquisitely bloody detail. And evolve to become the ultimate Zombie Slayer. See you in HELL-A!
- Dead Island 2 takes players across the most iconic locations of the City of Angels, now stained with horror, in an exciting pulp journey from the verdant suburbia of Beverly Hills to the quirky promenade of Venice Beach.
- Combat delivers the most intense, visceral and gory first-person experience possible, with plenty of weapons and tactical (and brutal) options to chew your way through the zombie horde.
- There are 6 characters to choose from, each with their own unique personality and dialogues. You can fully customize the abilities of each Slayer, with our brand-new skill system allowing you to re-spec instantly and try out the craziest builds.
- Our LA is crawling with zombies that look & react realistically. These mutated wretches are the reanimated, rotten heart of Dead Island 2 with dozens of distinct zombie types, each with their own mutations, attacks & hundreds of LA-themed variants.
- Day 1 Edition includes the Memories of Banoi Pack – Banoi War Club, Memories of Banoi Baseball Bat, Weapon Perk – balanced, Personal space skill card.
What do you think of the surprise reanimation of Dead Island 2? Are you excited to see some gameplay, and how it compares with 2022’s Dying Light 2? Join the horde in the comments section below
Please note that some external links on this page are affiliate links, which means if you click them and make a purchase we may receive a small percentage of the sale. Please read our FTC Disclosure for more information.