C.A.R.L. (Computer-Automated Resource Locator) needs your help: this tiny robot is lost within the sprawling maze that is Kent Industries, and must make it out whilst also acquiring Tech Units for his engineer buddy, uncovering some shady secrets regarding Kent Industries along the way…
Releasing today onto Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC, C.A.R.L. is the passion project of YouTuber Andrew Kenady, and promises to be right up the street of fans of PC classics such as Cave Story and Jazz Jackrabbit. By combining a fun story, lovable protagonist, satisfying platforming and the odd bit of RPG-ness thrown in, this one is shaping up to be a platformer that is in your mind for a while.
The game has you hopping, skipping and jumping through the various floors of the complex you find yourself in, happening upon defective robots along the way in the D.U.M.P. – that’s the Depot of Unusable Machinery and Parts, for the uninitiated. Solve puzzles, upgrade your abilities, and go back through completed levels to find secrets; there’s tons of content outside of simply going from level to level, opening up replayability opportunities galore.
If you become a bit too stressed of seeing C.A.R.L. succumb to the bosses found across the game, then why not sit back and relax with some classic minigames? C.A.R.L. faithfully recreates the likes of Galaxian and brick-breaker titles in retro pixel graphics.
Further features present in C.A.R.L. include:
- Classic 2D Platformer Gameplay: Hop, skip, and jump your way through clever gauntlets of platforming perfection!
- Challenging Puzzles: Doors! Switches! Levers! Things that go on and off! We’ve got ’em all.
- Tons of Secrets: Once you’ve upgraded your abilities, return to completed levels to find secret areas, hidden collectibles, and Easter eggs!
- Charming Narrative & Characters: Meet the residents of the D.U.M.P. and lean on them to help you on your quest! C.A.R.L. will need all the help he can get to uncover the secrets and inner workings of the facility.
- Original ‘Electro-Chiptune’ Soundtrack: Featuring 8-bit, DOS-era sound chip-inspired tracks that energize every step of C.A.R.L.’s journey.
Want to help C.A.R.L. and his merry band of broken robots out? Make sure to head over to the Xbox Store to pick up a copy of the game for £12.49. That’s, of course, if you are playing on Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One. Otherwise, the game can also be found on PS5, PS4, Switch and PC.
Inspired by classic PC games including Cave Story, Speedy Eggbert, and Jazz Jackrabbit, C.A.R.L. is a retro-style adventure that blends classic platformer action with quirky RPG and story elements for a quest as lively as it is robotic! Hop into the shiny metal shoes of the Computer-Automated Resource Locator, a small yet daring automaton lost within the sprawling Kent Industries facility. Brave each perilous factory floor to fetch Tech Units for your engineer friend on the outside, unlocking new areas and abilities along the way. Befriend defective robots in the D.U.M.P. (Depot of Unusable Machinery and Parts), collect items, and beat fierce foes to bring the facility’s sinister secrets to light! Chock full of off-beat humor and catchy “Electro-Chiptune” musical tracks, C.A.R.L.’s journey makes for a clever and endlessly satisfying retro romp!